The arrival of the new year is a significant moment to start new habits and marks the beginning of a new time cycle. This change is often faced with energy and motivation since it is an opportunity to begin to grow in different areas.
Not always the beginning of a new year inspires optimism since sometimes mixed feelings appear, such as nostalgia for everything that is left behind, reflection, uncertainty, among others. Each person will approach this moment in their own way, it will depend on their values and demands, but the key to establishing new habits is consistency.
Tips to establish new habits in the new year
Facing the new year with the thought of incorporating new habits into your daily life can be positive for personal growth and emotional well-being. Some tips to establish new habits and make them last:
Clear objectives: identify and clearly define the habits that you intend to develop, in addition the goals must be measurable to know when the objective has been achieved.
- Routines: Integrate new habits into your daily routine and be consistent so that they last.
- Little changes: When changes are planned, make them small and achievable as this will help make them more solid habits.
- Reminders: write down in the agenda or set an alarm to remember the proposed habit, for example it can be on the phone.
- Associate it with existing habits: When planning the new habit, connect it to one that is already established since it is easier to fulfill it this way.
- Goal Partner: Sharing goals with another person can help increase motivation as well as provide support.
- Progress diary– Keep track of progress, for example through a diary or an app, and celebrate progress as you make it.
- Celebrate small achievements: Recognizing achievements and celebrating them reinforces the incorporation of new habits.
- Visualize positively: positively visualize success and what feeling you will get when you achieve it. It can serve as a motivator.
- Setbacks: When you experience setbacks, you have to learn to deal with them since adaptability is key to overcoming them.
- Self-care: It is advisable that one of the established habits be self-care. It may include physical exercise, meditation, healthy eating, among others.
- Persistence: Persistence is essential to adopt new habits since it takes time and not everything will always be positive. It is advisable that there is some commitment.
When setbacks appear, it is not advisable to adopt a negative position, but rather to move forward and celebrate every small achievement that is obtained.
- Related article: “Self-motivation: what it is and how to enhance it”
Types of habits for the new year
Choosing which habit to start with the arrival of the new year will depend on each person’s personal goals and the areas a person wants to focus on.
First of all, there are health-related habits such as establishing an exercise routine, improving your diet by avoiding processed foods on a daily basis and incorporating fruits, vegetables and foods that provide nutrients. In addition, aiming to drink enough water daily is also a beneficial habit for the body.
On the other hand, they can also be incorporated productivity habits. There are people who decide to start the year by establishing a daily plan to increase productivity and learning to prioritize tasks, focusing on the most important ones and once achieved, carry out the rest. When it is proposed to improve productivity, improving time management is also linked since this way efficiency is maximized.
As for the personal development habitsIt will depend on each person’s taste, but some examples are establishing reading weekly or daily, adding meditation to the routine to start or end the day and seeking constant learning. The financial habits They are also usually proposed at the beginning of the year due to people’s debts. Normally a monthly savings habit is established and they work on debt reduction.
The relational habits Considerations may include improving communication skills, setting aside time weekly to spend with friends or family, and expressing gratitude on a regular basis. In addition, you can also plan creativity habits such as setting aside time for creative activities that are motivating, trying new things to stimulate creativity, and writing down creative ideas.
Very important are the self-care habits. For example, incorporating a regular sleep routine since that will also allow you to be more active during the day. Disconnection time is key to being able to achieve other objectives that require greater mental workload and in addition.
Last but not least, establish social habits for those people who want to cultivate empathy and compassion towards others. For example, committing to volunteering activities in associations that motivate you to achieve this goal or prioritizing connection with friends.
These are examples among many, but the choice should depend on one’s goals and values. However, for habits to be sustainable in the long term, it is important that they motivate the person and are consistent.
- You may be interested: “Personal Development: 5 reasons for self-reflection”
Feelings generated by new habits
Adopting new habits also evokes different feelings as you adopt a new routine and sometimes life changes. Some feelings that may arise with the arrival of the new year and new habits:
- Enthusiasm: motivation when starting something new and positive.
- Optimism: hope when visualizing what will be achieved if the habit is carried out
- Pride: for each goal achieved, a feeling of pride will appear
- Frustration: this feeling is usually present when things do not go as expected
- Impatience: When people expect quick results they may feel impatient.
- Empowerment: making positive decisions gives rise to this feeling.
- Unsafety: When there is uncertainty, insecurity appears hand in hand in some people.
- Anxiety: experiencing anxiety when the person anticipates important aspects of the new habit.
- Satisfaction: by seeing how you are progressing towards the new habit.
- Self-knowledge: gain greater awareness of what drives you to achieve the new habit and of yourself.
CENTER FOR HUMANIST PSYCHOLOGY & MEDITATION
These feelings can go varying over time And it is advisable to maintain a positive attitude to face new habits, be understanding with yourself and make adjustments along the way to overcome problems that may appear.